Friday 20 January 2012

173 Days To Go

So I haven't blogged in a little and here's why. I love kids. But I hate them. I do it in equal measure. So, kids is the reason. After starting placement, suddenly things really picked up. Workload coupled with late nights meant I was coming home shattered, falling asleep on Skype to the BF. Twice. He doesn't bore me, trust me, his voice is a huge relief after hearing 300 kids scream and shout that fractions and poetry is hard to solve and write respectively.

He still sent me to sleep though. Can't argue facts.

The kids on placement are so sweet. As per any good professional, I am not disclosing location or names. But they are such a good bunch. I loved teaching my parts of some lessons, although I will say I seem to be the sterner of the other colleagues I work with. Evil Mr Fulton, they call me. I walk in in a cape and kill them all. I kid of course, but it has changed totally the way I view kids behaviour. Essentially, make your mark. If you don't have kids, follow this advice.

Just don't hit them. Ok... whilst they aren't looking.

It hit me whilst I was on placement just what a huge change I was making in my life. I bought an £800 ticket... and I was turning up to placement the next day. Just what a massive chance I was taking, a huge gamble on the pure essence of what love is. I was willing to make financial chances in my life as well as huge lifestyle ones in order to make something I really wanted to work, work. My focus for the whole of my Thursday wasn't on teaching but if I had made a huge mistake. And then a child made me realise what I was doing... it was all the right thing to do. They said to me this, without any hesitation or lie...

'Mr Fulton, I love America. Do you love America?'

The kid made me keep on believing. Keep on dreaming. The want to be there drives me every day.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I taught... I'd also get home and promptly fall asleep ^_^

    ReplyDelete