Sunday 15 January 2012

178 Days To Go: The Birthday/6 Months Blog

I celebrated my 19th birthday today, knowing that this day marked huge changes in my life that would impact me and my choices forever. I had 2 slices of cake today, not the whole cake.

Changes.

Today, I bought my ticket to the States. That's £800 paid for the greatest 6 week period of my life. And the feeling of euphoria when I booked it was just epic. Knowing that, in 6 months time, I'll be in Tulsa, OK with the love of my life as we start our journey together. But the feeling was one of relief. This has been hanging over our heads for quite some time, a lot of what ifs and things going wrong. It was off, then on, then off, then on again. Nothing ever ran smoothly until I actually bought the damn thing. My e-ticket takes pride and place on my noticeboard.

Some uni students have photos and posters above their bed. I have my travel itinerary. U jelly?

My birthday was simply magical. Having got up early to Skype with the parents (thank you SOOOOO much for your present!), I settled down for a cosy day with my laptop. Not only was it my birthday, it is 6 months that me and the BF have been dating. It felt awesome that everything came together as it did. With the flatmates somewhat occupied, I just chilled. With tomorrow being the first day of block placement, I didn't want nerves or anxiety creeping into my special day. Just as things started to feel a little lonely (none of my flatmates had said 'happy birthday' at that point due to the fact that my 3rd flatmate wasn't there), they (the other 2 that were here) surprised me with a homemade card and a cake and a note perfect (:P) rendition of 'Happy Birthday'. I burst into tears and hugged them all. They really made today something truly special.

Chocolate cake AND a song? I truly felt unworthy at that point, what had I done to deserve such bliss?

A lovely piece of intimate time with the BF was to follow. I proved to him I could read and we shared our traditional monthly 'Then' moment (Brad Paisley - Then, once a month on our anniversary). Nothing went wrong today. And after visiting my friend Nicola at her flat for another round of cake and singing, it was back to my place. Tish turned up and led me into the second surprise of the day (any more and I would have had a coronary). She got me into my room to talk about the weekend, abruptly left whilst the others decorated the flat with 'happy birthday' banners. They got me into the kitchen, screamed surprise and gave me my gifts. I truly love my flatmates so much for what they did and what they got me, they truly are family to me now.

An effortlessly cool cardigan, a giant mug, two new ties and chocolate. You know when people buy your heart? They (as well as the BF) own it right now.

Placement starts tomorrow. I'm a (19 year old) professional. Good times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment